Thousands of radio stations are upgrading to digital HD Radio technology. Approximately one new HD Radio broadcaster goes on the air each day, reaching every major U.S. city and 60% of all listeners. By 2008, more than 90% of the U.S. population will be reached by HD Radio broadcasters.
Stations from Boston to Los Angeles - and beyond to Alaska and Puerto Rico - are bringing HD Radio technology to communities both large and small. Well-known stations like KROQ-FM in LA and WOR-AM in New York are broadcasting with HD Radio technology. In addition, stations in smaller markets like KZIA-FM in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, and WJLD-AM in Birmingham, Alabama, are also broadcasting with HD Radio technology. You can't afford to be left behind.
Everything is in place for you to convert your station to HD Radio technology:
- Extensive marketing campaigns, lead by the HD Digital Radio Alliance are underway.
- Radios for homes and vehicles are now for sale in stores and online.
- Automotive makers are including HD Radio receivers in their vehicles: starting with BMW, Jaguar and Hyundai.
- Commercial HD Radio broadcast equipment is available from major manufacturers.
- The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) approved HD Radio technology as the AM and FM digital broadcasting system for the U.S. in October 2002.
Why Become an HD Radio broadcaster?
HD Radio technology affords station programmers and sales people new opportunities to:
- Offer new and exciting programming streams, through HD Radio multicasting capabilities.
- Position your station on the cutting edge of technology with your listeners and advertisers.
- Enhance your non-traditional revenue sources.
- Stop listener migration to other digital formats and remain competitive with other forms of digital entertainment (e.g., satellite radio, iPOD, CD, SACD, DVD, MP3, etc.).
- Use program-associated data services to increase the benefit of the technology and strengthen your position, as well as provide new revenue opportunities.
- Have a better quality signal in your service area.
- Increase station loyalty and P1 base…Increase CUME and TSL.
- Create internal and external excitement.
- Invoke key retail advertisers in your promotional activities.
- Develop sources of non-traditional revenue through data applications and services..
- ….Thus, increasing your station's gross revenues!